Friday 15 December 2006

lord of the flies...

I had a very humbling, yet enlightening experience today. While strolling through town, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a very attractive young lady sitting with a laptop in a cafĂ© window. As I passed she looked up and smiled, briefly catching my eye in a moment somewhere between flirtation and embarrassment (on her part, I hasten to add – I was nothing more than an impartial observer). Nonetheless, the very fact that I had, in my own manly way, brought a smile to a stranger’s lips sent a wave of well-being flooding through my body, and the phrase ‘Ding, dong’ through my mind.

The moment passed; I walked on.

Half an hour of shopping later I was walking back along the same street, passing the same window with the same woman sat at her computer when I thought to myself, ‘Is there a chill in the air? Ah no, it’s just that my flies are undone.’ They were not only undone, they were gaping, like a rift in the fabric of space-time itself.

Then it all fell into place. And I had a great realisation.

That smile was not a smile of flirtation or appreciation of my Herculean physique. No, that darned woman was laughing at my mauve pants. The moment of realisation caused my shoulders to sag, my head to drop, and my flies to be rather quickly done up.

What a fool. What a damn fool.

But then, out of the heavens, I was given a revelation of stupefying enormity. That woman was just like Jesus, except for her gender and divinity, oh, and the lack of facial hair and disciples. Jesus too smiles upon us when we are open and vulnerable. He delights in us despite our mauve pantedness. Yet how often do we, misunderstanding the motivation behind his joy and delight, find in that blessing cause for pride. Brothers and sisters, be not proud, for you too may find a draft in your spiritual private places. Yes, our Lord rejoices over us, but not because of our achievements or stature in this life, but because his grace is sufficient.

What a fool I am, yes. But what a Lord is he!

4 comments:

Matt Stevens said...

to throw one of your phrases back at you - EYES FRONT SOLDIER!! :)

Anonymous said...

Humility - thy name is Calvin!

(Hahaha. I promise I will restrain myself and won't comment all the time, honest, I just couldn't resist that one!)

Anonymous said...

Did you REALLY take a picture of your own open flies??!!

Craig said...

No, I just googled "flying low". Mostly came up with pictures of low flying aircraft, but then, bingo!