Saturday 9 December 2006

it's all about me...

Not everyone appreciates a good blog. As my wife just commented on her first read of my fledgling steps into the world of the big B, "It's very self-indulgent, isn't it." She was only on line three of my first entry...

Needless to say she was not allowed to continue reading. I was going to make a "pearls before swine" comment, but then I'd be calling my wife a pig, which generally isn't considered the done thing. That would also make me a man married to a pig, which reminds me a little too much of a line from the South Park movie (well, at least I'm not Canadian).

But, to be honest, what she had inadvertently done was put into words a tension I had long been feeling in my own soul (well, at least since Thursday). Blogging has at its heart this requirement that you be a bit self-centred. You have to

a) think that something you have to say is of interest to other people when all too often it's just cathartic drivel which should be kept private, and

b) be a self-publicist, telling other people where to find your blog so that they can read your self-pseudo-psycho-analysis of the time you washed up without your significant other saying thank you.

Being a bit of an introvert (yes, I know I make a lot of noise, but inside I'm crying) I don't consider myself to have either of these qualities. I am, therefore, either self-deluded or internally conflicted. In either case my blogs are, therefore, clearly not worth reading.

Please desist immediately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Have just stumbled upon your blog! You use nice long words to say what I refer to as 'random' and 'crap' on mine haha!
I agree with the 'what to call it' dilemma, so I went with one of my strengths and bunged 'Teapot' in the title.

Mi(chelley)